Flames from a burning candle touched fluttering curtains at an open window in Hermosa Beach Wednesday, starting a fire that damaged an apartment, the fire chief told Patch.
The fire was reported at a fourplex apartment just before 9:30 p.m.at 1046 4th St., HBFD CHief David Lantzer told Patch in a telephone interview.
Arriving firefighters encountered a great deal of smoke but the flames were pretty much extinguished by the resident, the chief said.
There was fire damage to the wall and ceiling, as well as damage from firefighters poking a hole in the ceiling to ensure flames had not spread to the attic, Lantzer said.
There was also smoke throughout the apartment, necessitating ventilation.
A resident of the apartment house suffered minor smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene, fire officials said; other residents were not injured.