Last week, county officials announced the need for more poll workers to participate in the coming presidential primary elections on June 5.
The cities and communities that are experiencing the highest number of volunteer shortages are also "characterized by higher voter turnout rates and civic participation," according to a statement by the county. Bilingual, Spanish-speaking volunteers are especially in need.
“Community poll workers are essential to fair and open elections,” said Dean Logan, Los Angeles county clerk, in a statement. “Without poll workers elections cannot function.”
The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Department recruits up to 25,000 poll workers for every major election, according to the statement from the department. Officials are urging all local citizens to support the voting process, not only by voting but also by volunteering on Election Day.
To volunteer as a poll worker all one needs to be is a registered voter. For their participation, poll workers are compensated up to $105 for their time. To apply and find out more, click here or call (800) 815-2666. Registered voters can apply up until June 4.
The following list represents the cities and communities where poll workers were needed the most as of May 23.
- Beverly Hills-- six poll workers needed
- Culver City/Mar Vista-- four workers needed
- Hermosa Beach-- two poll workers needed
- Westwood-- 24 poll workers needed
- Mar Vista-- two poll workers needed
- Beverly Hills-- four poll workers needed
- West Beverly-- 10 poll workers needed
- Bell Air Estates-- 22 poll workers needed
- Pacific Palisades-- 16 poll workers needed
- Venice-- 17 poll workers needed
- Marina Del Ray-- 14 poll workers needed
- Manhattan Beach-- six poll workers needed
- Palos Verdes-- four poll workers needed
- Palos Verdes Peninsula-- two poll workers needed
- Rancho Palos Verdes-- eight poll workers needed
- Redondo Beach-- six poll workers needed
- Rolling Hills Estates-- six poll workers needed
- Santa Monica-- 24 poll workers needed
To see a complete list of volunteers needed for all of the locations in Los Angeles County, click here.