The commission is meeting in San Diego Wednesday (the panel regularly meets in varying parts of the state) and the issue in question is on the consent calendar.
The matter entails a request to tear down an existing single-family home at 135 The Strand and build a new, three-story, 5,595-square-foot single-family home with a basement on a beachfront lot.
Staff recommends approval with certain conditions to be met by the developer, JCC Strand 136, LLC.:
- Conformance with the submitted landscaping and drainage and runoff control plans;
- The applicant assume the risk of development, including dealing with any damage caused by waves or beach erosion
- Require a Coastal Development Permit for future development;
- Require the applicant to agree to no future shoreline protective device; and
- Require a deed restriction against the property, with all of the special conditions contained in the staff report.