In the home of beach volleyball, it was no surprise that multiple South Bay athletes medaled during the AAU Junior Beach Volleyball National Championships this weekend in Hermosa Beach.
Four teams with South Bay athletes finished in first, four finished in second and six finished third in their respective divisions during the tournament.
During the weekend's events, 's London Chow was also officially recognized after being named the 2011 AAU player of the year.
More than 150 two-person teams from across the country competed in the championships which featured both boys and girls divisions for age groups under 18, under 16, under 15, under 14, under 12 and under 10.
According to AAU, the championship is the largest and oldest junior event on the AAU beach volleyball tour. It has been held in Hermosa Beach for the past 17 years.
Medal results for South Bay competitors:
Boys Under 14 Division
- 1st Place: Roy McFarland (Manhattan Beach), teammate Casey McGarry (Manhattan Beach)
- 3rd Place: Rob Mullahey (Manhattan Beach), teammate Will Bantle
Boys Under 16 Division
- 1st Place: Tanner Smith (Hermosa Beach), Sam Caldwell (Hermosa Beach)
- 2nd Place: Devon Burki (Torrance), Vincent Pizzuti (Redondo Beach)
- 3rd Place: Jack Payne (Manhattan Beach), teammate Riley Moore
Boys Under 18 Division
- 2nd Place: Shane Dyer (Palos Verdes), teammate Brandon Keim
- 3rd Place: Duncan Lau (Hermosa Beach), Michael Nolan (Manhattan Beach)
Girls Under 10 Division
- 3rd Place: Camryn Jones (Manhattan Beach), Piper Stevens (Manhattan Beach)
Girls Under 12 Division
- 3rd Place: Makayla Bradford (Torrance), Lindsey Kelly (Manhattan Beach)
Girls Under 14 Division
- 3rd Place (Tied): Pippa Monk-Heidrich (Manhattan Beach) and Chloe Markland (Manhattan Beach)
- 3rd Place (Tied): Sunny Villapando, Presley Forbes
Girls Under 15 Division
- 1st Place: Roxy Vabrey (Manhattan Beach), Hayes Honea (Redondo Beach)
Girls Under 16 Division
- 1st Place: Zana Muno (Hermosa Beach), teammate Sydney Bast
- 2nd Place: Lan Nguyen (Manhattan Beach), London Chow (Redondo Beach)